Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SGEC Trip Days 5 & 6

July 28, 2008 – 10:27 Local Time

When one thinks of an English parish church, I think the stereotype is that the clergy and parishioners are typically cool and aloof. However, the parish of Selby Abbey was quite to the contrary of all that. They were the warmest and most inviting group of folks we could have had the opportunity to meet. We arrived there early to warm-up in their choir stalls, and the organist and his wife ushered us through the entire process and helped us in every way possible. We then sang the service (which is far more complicated than an Episcopal service in the US), and they shepherded us along when we were close to stumbling. Afterward, there was a reception for a couple celebrating their golden anniversary and we were all invited to take part in their jollity. All-in-all, this experience has thus far been our warmest time spent in a service while here. (Yes, that is the Vicar down there with a glass of wine, haha!)







We then travelled to Harrogate to acquire the Youth singers, as they had sung their own service in a parish church there. Next, it was on to Bolton Abbey in Devonshire and the ruins there. Honestly, the beauty of this place is breathtaking! It is a former priory which was left essentially in ruins after the Reformation and has been left as such to the present day. After a casual lunch, we sang a very informal concert there (at which Murray’s mother was in attendance!) and took a photo. As with York Minster, I feel that it is best to allow the pictures to speak for themselves.











Following our return to York, Stephanie, Rachel, Megan, Trevor and I went out to dinner at a small restaurant/pub. Sitting there, a few (not all) of us became rather friendly with some proofed-out grape extract (haha), and considering that it was only £7 per bottle, we had much more than we had intended. It turned out to be a rather long night (and not in a good way), but I think we’ve all recovered nicely.







The morning and early afternoon were ours to do with what we pleased, so (considering the night before) I slept until 10:30. After a shower and a quick text message to Trevor, we met up and went to H&M. In case you aren’t familiar with this store, it is a trendy clothing store for 20-somethings which has great prices! While in Germany, I bought quite a bit there, but here I kept it to a bare minimum. Afterward, we found a delicious Mediterranean restaurant with a lunch special and proceeded to replenish some much-needed nutrients. Notice anything odd about the last choice for pizza (see below)? We spent the rest of our free time walking around this magnificent town, browsing in some of the shops and taking a few pictures. Eventually, it was time to return to the hotel, freshen up, grab our robes and music, and walk over to York Minster for a 3:30pm rehearsal.







The joys of singing Evensong in a place like York Minster are hard to put in to words. It’s not a place where the building does all the work for you, by any stretch (as was Selby Abbey). Rather, you have to make a conscious effort to fill-out the choral sound, not to mention the HUGE space, haha. Quite to Gerry Senechal’s satisfaction, we sang Edward Bairstow’s Lord, thou hast been a refuge in the space for which Bairstow wrote it. (He is at the top of Gerry’s favorite composer list.) We also sang the Magnificat & Nunc dimittis of T. Tertius Noble, which is of a particularly special significance to me – it was the first “Mag and Nunc” that I ever sang, and it was at St. George’s where I had this experience. Considering the power behind the piece, it becomes difficult at times to maintain my composure.







After the service, Richard Shepherd (the cantor), Gerry, the Somervilles and I went to Dr. Shepherd’s house for a couple of glasses of wine. I wasn’t thrilled about wine after last night, but I didn’t want to be rude, haha. We all sat there in his drawing room and discussed everything from making a career as a countertenor to the new Batman movie to the pitfalls of flying through Dulles airport. It was quite an entertaining experience, especially when Dr. Shepherd repeatedly tried to convince Gerry that Bairstow did actually have shortcomings, and that other, greater composers have lived, haha. At around 7:45, Dr. Shepherd needed to meet someone for an engagement, so the Somervilles and I (Gerry had already had to leave) went to a fantastic Italian restaurant for dinner. It was a delicious meal with great company and splendid conversation. I’ve been truly lucky to know and work with them, and I’ll miss them, and the St. George’s choir on the whole, an immeasurable amount once I move to Indiana.







Well, I’ve definitely written enough for tonight. I still need to pack, and have to be on a bus at 8am rolling toward Oxford and a compline service at New College tomorrow evening. As always, I’m not sure what my internet situation will be from day-to-day, so I’ll post as soon as I can! ~AJR

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY pretty pictures...and remeber York, England....isnt that the home of the Peppemint lol.....anywho....ttys! Be safe!

Ben Grimwood said...

"Considering the power behind the piece, it becomes difficult at times to maintain my composure." I can actually imagine that. lol Although I hope you could still stand up while singing. haha

I love the pictures, and I'm still glad you're having so much fun! :D