Saturday, July 26, 2008

SGEC Trip Day 4

July 26, 2008 – 20:58 Local Time

*The pictures are all from York Minster, but I wanted to space them out through the blog, since that is all I photographed today, haha!*

Today has been such a low-key day! We got up early this morning and had breakfast before packing up and getting on the bus for that long bus trip to York. We stopped at a travel center for a brief lunch, and then continued on to arrive safely in York, checked-in to our hotel with no complications, and met back outside at about 3:15pm. From there, we took a walking tour of York, ending at York Minster. Along the way, Tim (our guide) showed us many different places to eat and shop, giving us ideas of how to use our ample free time in this beautiful city.









At York Minster we met up with a local guide named Louise who took us on a lengthy, and rather detailed, tour of the minster. She was quite fantastic, even allowing us to sing the Duruflé (remember St. George’s Chapel?) in the Chapter House of the Minster. Being in this space (the second-largest gothic medieval cathedral in Europe) really gave us some great insight into our historical roots, both as Anglicans and as musicians. With traditions leading from Constantine to Edward Bairstow and continuing through today, this place was a magnificent example of what we share.









After the tour we were allowed to have the evening to ourselves. A large number of us went to a wonderful restaurant called Russell’s. They specialize in roasted meats which they carve in-front of you. Knowing that we have to sing a very early service at a parish church in Selby tomorrow, and then head on to Bolton Abbey, I decided to turn-in early for the night. Sorry for the brevity of this one, but there isn’t a lot to say – just a good number of pretty cathedral pictures. Thanks for reading! ~AJR

3 comments:

Ben Grimwood said...

haha! "Being in this space...really gave us some great insight into our historical roots, both as Anglicans and as musicians." You remind me of someone with that sentence ;)

Anonymous said...

OK so i feel dumb...It took me a minute to figure out why you kept saying York Minster lol....then it hit me, ohhhh like WestMinster lol ok I feel stupid lol....the pics are GREAT though....so how is the food....I'm telling you I am a HUGE fan....in more ways that one lol.....BIG hug!

ForteLink said...

So, I am definitely glad to see that your website has been updated. Hooray! Two things about that: What is this about Fire and Ice next year, and did you know that your list of past events is out of order? lol.

Oh. Also, I need suggestions. I have yet to decide what I'm going to focus on with my new blog. What do you think? I know I'll probably do poetry again (if I even still can, haha). Just wonderin' if you had any ideas. Anyway.

When do you all get back?